96 posts tagged new york photo
New York at Night - St. Mark’s Place
When the days concede to night in the winter, there is a comfort in the glow of city lights. While neon lights can sometimes come across as cold, once the windchill dips into the single digits, those lights are a sign of life. People tend to huddle under the glow of lights in the winter with a frequency that isn’t seen in warmer months as if they are city moths drawn to the glowing promise of warmth.
Street photography is a great way to observe these types of behavioral patterns. I often refer to street photography as a cinematic.. .continue reading here…
This is my weekly blog post to PDN’s Emerging Photographer’s Blog.
New York City Snow on a Winter Night
It snowed very briefly in New York City tonight. It was barely a dusting of snow which quickly mixed with rain but it was enough to make me pine for heavy snowfall. And when I pine for anything, I tend to lose myself in a heady mix of memories and imagination which usually leaves me going through older photos trying to grasp at the core of what it is that I am missing the most.
These photos were taken during the only heavy snowfall that New York City experienced during the winter 2013 season. I bundled myself and my Sony A99 up in as many layers as I could muster wearing and walked all the from my Lower East Side neighborhood up 5th Avenue to Times Square because I could think of nothing better than reveling in some of the most beautiful city scenery while the night turned into something resembling a shaken snow-globe.
Here’s hoping that the winter 2014 season grants New York City at least one beautiful snowfall.
Gallery Key (corresponds to the order of photos in the photo-set):
1. 5th Avenue is gorgeous when snow falls. This is a view adjacent to Bryant Park next to the subway station. View this photo in my portfolio here: New York City - Winter - Snow Falls on 5th Avenue
2. There are a few streets on the west side of Union Square that are absolutely stunning on a winter night. This would be one of them. This is the street that is also home to Union Square’s all night eatery: The Coffee Shop. View this photo in my portfolio here: New York City - Snow - Winter Night
3. This is one of my favorite areas next to Madison Square Park in midtown Manhattan. The benches are usually empty late at night and fill with snow when New York City gets hit hard with a snowstorm. The snow-covered benches and the beautiful canopy of trees creates the perfect winter postcard view every time. View this photo in my portfolio here: New York City - Snow - Winter Night in Midtown
4. The architecture on some of the older buildings that run along 5th Avenue is a gorgeous sight at night but it’s even better during a snowstorm when the ornate art deco structural details really get a chance to stand out. View this photo in my portfolio here: New York City Winter - Snow at Night
5. Times Square is magical on a winter night when the snow is swirling around. It’s really interesting to experience Times Square in a blizzard since it empties out save for a few people who are either trying to get home or who are trying to enjoy a surreal Times Square experience. View this photo in my portfolio here: New York City - Snow - Winter Night in Times Square
6. This is another view of Times Square in the snow. There are points during any snowstorm where people are still clinging to their umbrellas hoping to use the apparatus as a shield. View this photo in my portfolio here: New York City - Winter - Snowy Night in Midtown
7. Some of my favorite areas of lower Manhattan in the winter are in the East Village. This is 9th Street which is always dressed up in festive lights during the holiday season. View this photo in my portfolio here: New York Winter Night - Snow Fall in the East Village
8. Bow Bridge is also beautiful to view from the other side of The Lake. If you wait until the hour before sunset, the sun tends to set almost directly above Bow Bridge when you are standing (or sitting) at this vantage point. View this photo in my portfolio here: New York City Winter - Snow - Night in Madison Square Park
View these photos of a magical winter night in New York City larger and in a set here (click on each photo in the set to enlarge):
Interested in viewing these directly in my online portfolio? Here they are along with other New York City winter photos:
New York City Autumn - Central Park - Rustic Bridge
the memory of
orange, gold, and red
that gracefully sway
towards each other
was only a legend
told on dark nights
in hushed tones.
This was taken after a rainstorm with my Sony A99 on a bitterly beautiful autumn day in Central Park. The view is from one of Central Park’s many bridges in The Ramble. This particular bridge is sometimes referred to as the Pool Rustic Bridge.
New York Autumn - Central Park - Bow Bridge and the Lake
On autumn days
when grey skies
brush across the water
with icy fingertips
and tree branches
cling to their
the wind plays
a slow adagio
with a warm vibrato
on every fallen
One of the most beautiful places in New York City to enjoy autumn is Central Park. With over 800 acres of a variety of natural landscapes, Central Park comes alive in the autumn as it prepares to hibernate for the winter.
This was taken on a moody autumn day with my Sony A99 while I was wandering around in The Ramble. The Ramble is a 38 acre woodland with meandering paths. If you follow it out towards some of the main paths, you will eventually come across this beautiful view of Bow Bridge.